Allegheny Observatory. Part of the University of Pittsburgh. Chartered 1860; located here since 1912. At the original site nearby, Professor Samuel P. Langley conducted experiments that would lead to the first sustained, mechanically powered flight in 1896.

Riverview Ave. in Riverview Park (off US 19) near Observatory, Observatory Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
Google Streetview

by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission

Colour: blue




None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.