The Big Wheel On this site stood a famous Blackpool landmark, the Big (or Great) Wheel. Opened on the 22nd August 1896, it was a massive structure rising to almost 230 feet and weighing around 1000 tons. It had 30 large carriages and over its 32 year life it carried millions of passengers giving them fine views of the Fylde. Never really a serious rival to its neighbour the Tower, it made its last revolution on the 20th October 1928 and was subsequently demolished.

Photo of Blue plaque № 32992
Simon Harriyott on Flickr

Coronation Street, Blackpool
Google Streetview

by Blackpool Civic Trust Part of the Blackpool Heritage Trail series

Colour: blue

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.