Photos of Ursula Salinger brass plaque
We display multiple photos of each plaque. We like close-ups as well as long-shots that set the scene. The closest shot will be used as the main image so that people can read the words.
We do not store photos, we only link to them.
Open Plaques connects and adds context to existing resources on the web instead of trying to own it all ourselves. We use stable, open sources namely Flickr, Wikimedia Commons and Geograph. The images are Creative Commons licenced and we attribute them to the copyright holder.
I found, or want to add, a photo of this plaque on Wikimedia Commons...
A great place to donate your image to the world is Wikimedia Commons. It is free, fairly easy to use, and your image will [probably] live forever as part of the awesome Wikipedia platform. When you are done, paste the url of the Wikimedia page in here and Open Plaques will link to the photo.
You can also tag it when asked for other information, or at the bottom of the Summary with which will add a link back to Open Plaques.
I'd like to add my photo via Flickr
- put it on Flickr (for free)
- give it a Creative Commons licence
- tag it
- add it to our Flickr group
- wait 5 minutes
- it should now appear in the Flickr search of photos tagged 'openplaques:id=33925'
- wait for 24 hours and our servers should automatically find it and display it on our site
I did that, but my photo hasn't appeared!
Paste the url of the photo here and we will try to sort it out
Nope, still not working
- does it appear in the Flickr search of photos tagged 'openplaques:id=33925'?
- no? Is the licence Creative Commons, i.e. it shouldn't say "All Rights Reserved"
- check you haven't ticked the 'hidden from search' setting. (On Flickr, go to your profile by clicking your username in top right hand corner, do you have "Hide your stuff from public searches" set to "no"?)
- brand new Flickr accounts are not included in the search immediately. Sometimes it waits until you have posted 5+ images. Enter your photo's url into the box below and we'll see what we can do...
- you can try
I found a photo of this plaque on Geograph...
Help, I really don't understand!
If this all proves too complicated, then have a chat with us via email. We are generally rather nice and want to help. You can email your photo to us stating that you are happy for us to publish it as open data on your behalf and that you grant anyone in the world the right to re-use the image.