The County Gaol was located on this site from the early 13th century. This existing building formed the northern wing, rebuilt as the Debtors' Prison in 1805 by the architect George Moneypenny. When the Prison was relocated to the west of the City centre in 1850, the Governor's House was used as the Cty Museum and Library - the first public library in the county

Jez Nicholson on Flickr
Peter Trimming on Geograph