Site of the East Gate Part of the Norman defences of the town, through this gate came all who travelled the ancient road between Gloucester and Swansea. Known as Porth Crockerton, from the district of Crockherbtown, possibly named for the fine vegetable gardens of the 13th century house of the Greyfriars, close by. The town hospice stood outside this gate. Restord after the Welsh uprising of 1404 the fortified triple arched stone gateway, with sentry and slope houses, was demolished in 1781 to improve the toll road. In the 18th century with the building of the Glamorganshire Canal, Crockherbtown Lock stood by the site of the old gate. At the turn of the century this place was still known as "The Pillars"