La mairie du Ve arrondissement. Une loi du 1 juillet 1844 décide, afin d'harmoniser la place du Panthéon, la construction d'un bâtiment symétrique à l'Ecole de Droit; en même temps, le prolongement de la rue Soufflot jusqu'au boulevard Saint-Michel ouvrirait la perspective sur le jardin du Luxembourg. Le gros oeuvre est achevé en 1849; l'aménagement intérieur et les embellissements, confiés à Victor Calliat, datent de 1866-1870. Mais les bâtiments se révèlent vite insuffisants, et une campagne de reconstruction, retardée par la guerre, démarre en 1921: elle donne à l'édifice son aspect actuel, au décor caractéristique des années 1930. Le buste de la République en marbre blanc qui orne la salle des Mariages est une ouvre de Wermare.

English translation: "The Town Hall of the 5th arrondissement. An Act of 1 July 1844 decided, in order to harmonize the Place du Panthéon, to build a symmetrical building at the Ecole de Droit; at the same time, the extension of Rue Soufflot to Boulevard Saint-Michel would open the prospect of Luxembourg's garden. The main work was completed in 1849; the interior design and embellishments, entrusted to Victor Calliat, date back to 1866-70. But the buildings quickly proved insufficient, and a war-delayed reconstruction campaign began in 1921, giving the building its current appearance, with the typical scenery of the 1930s. The bust of the Republic in white marble that adorns the Wedding Room is an opening of Wermare. [AWS Translate]"
Monceau on Flickr

21 Place du Panthéon, Paris
Google Streetview

by Histoire de Paris

Colour: brown

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.