CROWPILL COAL YARD On a two hectare site behind this wall lay the 1871 coal yard of SULLY & COMPANY Their ships brought coal from South Wales and from mines they owned in the Forest of Dean, it was distributed throughout the south-west in their own railway wagons. Redeveloped for housing in 1995 the yard, designed and built with mixed gauge railway track, was the last remaining site of Brunel's broad gauge. The Sully family was prominent in the public life of the town and county.

by Bridgwater and District Civic Society

Colour: blue




None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.