The inscription over this doorway records the rebuilding of the Gate House in 1609 by Mrs Margaret Cleyton, a notable Chepstow resident and benefactress to the town. She lived here until her death in 1627. Her elaborate tomb is in the Parish Church.

Photo of Blue plaque № 42105
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Photo of Blue plaque № 42105
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons

The Gate House, High Street, Chepstow
Google Streetview

by Chepstow Society

Colour: blue

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.