5 Market Place. This shop has been a butcher's since 1867, having previously been a grocer's and a candle-maker's. The decorative tiles on the shop-front were added in the 1920's by the then owner Frank Moore. During the Depression of the 1930's Mrs Moore ran a soup kitchen here twice a week using spare bones and vegetables given by other shopkeepers.

Mike Kirby on Geograph

by Howden Civic Society

Colour: blue

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.