Newgate Street. Newgate Street derives its name from the ‘New Gate’. Newgate Street, first referred to as ‘Vicus Fori’ before 1238, was the main entrance to the markets of Newcastle. The ‘New Gate’ was built with the town walls in the mid 13th century. It stood at the junction of Newgate Street and Gallowgate and allowed access to the north west of the walled town. From 1399 until 1822 the ‘New Gate’ housed the town gaol (prison). It was demolished in 1823. A new prison, designed by John Dobson, was built in Carliol Square. Close to the market cross (White Cross), on the opposite side of this street, around the site of the Art Deco Co-operative building and ‘The Gate’ stood a, “great gate, that formed the principal entrance into the Black Friars”. The first reference to the Dominican friary dates from 1239. The initial site for the friary was donated by three anonymous sisters with other parts acquired bit by bit. Part of Blackfriars still exists and is accessible via Low Friar Street turning right into Monk Street. The informal Greenmarket which sold fruit and vegetables started on Newgate Street, just outside probably Newcastle’s oldest church, St. Andrew’s. At the turn of the 20th century it moved to Green Court on the east side of Newgate Street making it the city’s second indoor market. It was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the Eldon Square Shopping Centre.