St. John the Evangelist Church. In 1848-49, German-Catholics of Mother of God Church, Lewisburg, founded Stes. Peter and Paul School. In 1854, St. John Parish was created. Fr. Wm. Robbers (pastor 1879-1903) was nationally prominent figure in the German-Priests’ Society. Parish moved here in 1914 with completion of current school building by architect J.F. Sheblessey. (Reverse) Fr. A. Goebel (pastor 1909-54) oversaw construction, completed, 1924, called masterpiece of Ludewig & Dreisoner, St. Louis. Stained-glass windows, Dr. Oidtmann; organ, W. Holtkamp; Bells, replica, Aachen Cathedral, Germany. Noted missionaries Bp. E. Fedders, Fr. A. Fedders, Fr. H. Hanses associated with parish.

glennhistorygeek on Flickr All Rights Reserved
glennhistorygeek on Flickr All Rights Reserved

627 Pike St., Covington,
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap

by Kentucky Highways Department and Kentucky Historical Society #2165 of the Kentucky Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.