By the munificient gifts of Viscount Cowdray High Steward of Colchester, Member of the Borough in Four Parliaments (1895 - 1910) and of Viscountess Cowdray. This Castle together with the Holly Trees Mansion and its extensive grounds part of the Ancient Castle demense were aquired in 1920 and 1922 by the Corporation of Colchester. These splendid possessions for the permanent benefit of the townspeople were bestowed upon Colchester by Viscount and Viscountess Cowdray as "a tribute ot their affection for the borough" and enabled the opening up and construction of the main entrance to the Castle Park from Cowdray Crescent inaugarated by Viscount Cowdray on the 24th May 1923, the honorary freedom of Colchester was presented to Viscount Cowdray on 15th October 1919 and was also specially conferred upon Viscountess Cowdray on 19th October 1922.

Elliott Brown on Flickr

on 24 May 1923

Colour: stone

Wikimedia:

Flickr: