St. Hilda's Church (1840) St. Hilda's Parish Church stood on this site for over 120 years, serving the community to which it gave its name. It was designed in the Gothic style by the architects J & B Green of Newcastle upon Tyne. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Hustler of Acklam Hall on 24 July 1838. The first service was held on 15 May 1840 and the building was consecrated by the Bishop of Durham on 25 September of that year. The congregation declined in the 1960's and the building itself began to deteriorate. Sadly, it was demolished between 1969 and 1970. This plaque stands near the site of the altar by the east window, which was presented to the church by John Vaughan in 1867. The plaque was unveiled by the Mayor of Middlesbrough, Councillor Marje Barker on 25 September 1990, the 150th anniversary of the consecration of the church.