Site of Reynolds Presbyterian Academy. Founded on counsel of the Reverend French McAfee; named in honor of a pioneer rancher, Barber Watkins Reynolds (d. 1882), the Reynolds Presbyterian Academy opened in 1898, with classes meeting in a vacant storehouse. A Richardsonian Romanesque-style building was finished and occupied 1899, and a dormitory added in 1907. Dramas, lectures, musicals drew patrons from a large region. In 1909, the school became a college; closed about 1915. Reynolds Presbyterian Orphanage used the plant in 1916-23. Site was sold and the fine masonry building razed in 1928. (1974) #4879

Marion & Steve on Flickr All Rights Reserved

Ave. B, Trinity Churchyard, Albany, TX
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap

by Texas Historical Commission #04879 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.