Jonker Building / die Ou Fabriek On this site stood the first DR Church Hall building, built on land purchased by the church in 1898, bounded by Grey Street on the west, stretching between Main Street and Fichat Street. It was a corrugated iron structure, also used at one time as a Police station, and later used by a newsagent, The Knysna Advertiser. The present building was built as a furniture factory for Mr. Jacobus Jonker, a locally trained cabinet maker, who bought the southern portion of the property in 1930 for £1800, with a showroom on the Main Street and the furniture factory behind. Today it houses a collection of small craft shops.

Simon Harriyott on Flickr

by Knysna Historical Society

Colour: orange

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.