St. George's Anglican Church John Rex laid the foundation stone of this church in 1849 built on land donated by his father, George Rex, founder of Knysna. Construction commenced in 1850 based on a plan adapted by Sophy Gray, wife of the first Anglican Bishop of south Africa. The church was to be built then as the chancel of a larger church and when funds permitted, the nave etc. in the plan would be added. The church was consecrated in 1855. In 1919 the decision was taken to build a new church to the north.