1919. Woodmill Lane/ The Sawmill. The first sawmill on this site was built by The Knysna Steam Sawmills Company, established by William Lloyd of Port Elizabeth in 1875. The steam sawmill was powered by a 16 horsepower Ransome engine imported from England. Prior to this, all cutting and working of timber from the Knysna forests was done manually on-site. The company was bought in 1891 by George Parkes, Chairman of A&F Parkes of Birmingham, Edge Tool manufacturers, who exported Kamassie (boxwood) needed for the manufacture of bobbins in England. The company changed its name to the Knysna Forest Company in 1892 and manufactured wooden wheelbarrows, wagon-parts and tool handles. The company was renamed George Parkes & Sons in 1902. The mill was closed in 1984 and transferred to the Knysna Industrial Area. This 1919 sawmill building now forms part of the Woodmill Lane shopping complex.