St. John's Cathedral, Cashel
(1749-present)

place and church

Aged 270

Saint John the Baptist and Saint Patrick's Rock is a cathedral of the Church of Ireland in Cashel, County Tipperary in Ireland. It is in the ecclesiastical province of Dublin. Previously the cathedral of the Diocese of Cashel, it is now one of six cathedrals in the United Dioceses of Cashel Ferns and Ossory.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

The Cathedral Church of St. John The Baptist was built to supersede the Cathedral on The Rock. The new foundations were laid in 1749 on the site of the medieval parish church of St. John The Baptist. However, the building was not completed until 1784 when Archbishop Charles Agar came to the See. The tower and the spire were added after the turn of the century. A model of the Cathedral in Cashel is depicted on the tomb of Archbishop Agar in Westminster Abbey. The organ was presented by Archbishop Agar and was built by Samuel Green who built organs for George Frederick Handel. Archbishop Agar formed the choir which performed the Messiah for the first time in this area. The present Cathedral still keeps some links with the old Cathedral on the Rock, as the 17th Century Communion Vessels, the Verge of Kilkenny Silver and the Litany Desk are still in use. Some seals of medieval Dignitaries and portraits or Archbishops and Deans are on Display. [full inscription unknown]

English translation:

TBC, Cashel, Ireland where it sited (1749)