Documenting the historical links between people and places as recorded by commemorative plaques
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.
Our readers will get a discount on this new book
recently photographed plaques
Texas Historical Marker #9341
Original Site of Southwestern University. The Methodist church established four colleges in Texas prior to the Civil War: Rutersville College (1840), Wesleyan College (1844), McKenzie Institute (1848), and Soule University (1856). The Rev. Dr. Francis Asbury Mood (1830-1884) was named president of Soule University in Washington County in 1868. Soon after he took office, plans were begun to relocate the school and develop a centralized Methodist university. About the same time, city leaders in Georgetown began plans to establish a college. This site was donated for that purpose by John J. Dimmitt and G. W. Glasscock, Jr., and a community school, instead of a college, opened in 1870. Georgetown was among the cities competing for the site of the planned Methodist university. In 1873 this property was chosen as the site of the new institution, which was granted a union charter (with the four earlier colleges) in 1875 as Southwestern University. Dr. Mood served as president until his death. Buildings added to the campus after 1873 included a young ladies school, a chapel, a boys dormitory (Giddings Hall), and a gymnasium. Southwestern University moved to its present site in 1900 but continued to operate a preparatory department here until 1916. #9341
507 E. University, Georgetown, TX, United States
Texas Historical Marker #9698
Bertram. The town of Bertram was founded in 1882 when the Austin and Northwestern Railroad established a route through the area. The community was named for Rudolph Bertram, an Austin merchant who was instrumental in the development of the rail line. Many early residents were from the settlement of South Gabriel (2 mi. SE). Homes and commercial buildings of the pioneer settlers were moved here by brothers L. R. and J. W. Gray. The first store, also relocated from South Gabriel, was run by James E. Riley and Capt. Tom D. Vaughan. Bertram developed as a marketing center for the area's diversified agricultural production. Continued growth came during World War I when the demand for farm and ranch products increased. By the 1920s it was the site of auto dealerships, four banks, a newspaper, a hotel and a variety of other businesses. The economic depression of the 1930s, World War II and improved methods of transportation combined to limit Bertram's growth. Incorporated in the 1970s, the town remains an agricultural center. It serves as a reminder of the pioneers who settled here over a century ago. Many of their descendants still live in the area and serve as leaders of the community. #9698
?, Bertram, TX, United States
Hôpital Cochin. En 1780, le curé de Saint-Jacques du Haut-Pas, Jean-Denis Cochin, fonda, sur sa fortune personnelle, un hospice destiné au soulagement des indigents: il fit construire au sud du Champ-des-Capucins un bâtiment destiné à abriter 38 lits. Il y soignait tout spécialement les ouvriers des carrières, sujets à mille maux et à des accidents quotidiens. Tout à côté, le Noviciat des Capucins de la rue du faubourg Saint-Jacques fut transformé en 1785 en hôpital pour les hommes atteints de maladies vénériennes. L'ensemble fut entièrement reconstruit entre 1904 et 1917, et le nouvel Hôpital Cochin absorba l'ancien hospice des vénériens. Dans les carrières situées sous l'hôpital, une belle fontaine creusée au XVIIIe siècle conserve encore un escalier monumental.
English translation: Hôpital Cochin. In 1780, the parish priest of St. Jacques du Haut-Pas, Jean-Denis Cochin, founded with his personal fortune, a hospice for the relief of the needy: he built south of the Champ-des-Capucins a building to house 38 beds. They especially looked after the careers of workers, subject to a thousand ills and daily accidents. Nearby, the Noviciat des Capucins in the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Jacques in 1785 was transformed into a hospital for men with venereal diseases. They were all completely rebuilt between 1904 and 1917, and the new Hôpital Cochin absorbed the former venereal hospice. In the quarries in the hospital, a beautiful fountain carved in the eighteenth century still retains a monumental staircase.
27 rue Faubourg Saint Jacques, Paris, France
Anne Ridler, 1912-2001, poet, Vivian Ridler, 1913-2009, printer, lived here from 1948
14 Stanley Road, Oxford, United Kingdom
Texas Historical Marker #12922
General Ira C. Eaker. General Ira C. Eaker Ira Clarence Eaker was born April 13, 1896, in Field Creek, Llano County, Texas. In 1906, his parents, Young Yancy and Ladonia (Graham) Eaker, moved the family to the Eden area, where he and his brothers attended school. Eaker enlisted in the army on April 7, 1917, one day after the U.S. declared war on Germany. He was recruited into the army's early aviation program and continued his pilot training through the war, after which he commanded a squadron in the Philippines. There he helped devise an aircraft level instrument, which was further developed by the Air Corps Materiel Division. In 1926-27, Eaker served as a pilot in the Pan American Goodwill tour. He also conceived and tested innovative flight procedures. During the 1930s, he earned a journalism degree and graduated from the Army Command and General Staff School in Kansas. At the outbreak of World War II, Eaker was sent to England to organize and oversee the U.S. 8th Army Air Force Bomber Command, coordinating efforts with the Royal Air Force in round-the-clock bombing of Germany's war works. He sometimes accompanied his men, believing a commander should know what his troops face in combat. He commanded the 8th Army Air Force and later the Mediterranean Allied Air Forces. Near war's end, he served at the Pentagon as Deputy Commanding General of the Army Air Forces. Eaker retired in 1947 and worked for Howard Hughes and then for Douglas Aircraft Company, from which he retired in 1961. He launched a newspaper column a few years later and involved himself in military commentary for the rest of his life. Remembering his foundation in Eden and his Eden classmates, he returned here often for family and community events. The recipient of more than 50 awards and decorations, including knighthood in England and a U.S. Congressional Gold Medal as "aviation pioneer and air power leader," he died August 6, 1987. (2003) #12922
?, Eden, TX, United States
In questa casa nacque Francesco Saverio Gargiulo Maestro giurista accademico scrittore di opere insigni del supremo collegio Napolitano lustro e decoro. Il popolo di Sorrento di cui fu splendida gloria con patrio orgoglio pose MDCCCXL - MDCCCCXXII
Piazza Francesco Saverio Gargiulo, Sorrento, Italy
This building was originally a coffee shop circa 1720. And also the site of the fishermen's mission hut
Two Lifeboats Hotel, 2 High Street, Sheringham, Sheringham, United Kingdom
Kentucky Historical Marker #546
Fort Mitchel. Near here stood old Ft. Mitchel, erected Oct. 1861. Scene of several skirmishes between CSA forces under Gen. Henry Heth and USA troops under Gen. Lew Wallace September, 1862. Major anchor in a line of seven forts defending Cincinnati. They ran along hills around Covington about 10 miles, from Bromley, on river to west, east to river near Ft. Thomas. Dedicated October 15, 1964.
Dixie Highway, Ft. Mitchell, ,