Captain Joseph Fayrer

Aged unknown

Commemorated on 1 plaque

flipflopnick on Flickr

Harmony Hall. Harmony Hall was built over a 30 year period starting in c1790 by Joseph Fayrer a Milnthorpe sea captain and slave trader. The name may have come from Harmony Hall in Jamaica which was linked with the slave trade from the north-west ports. In the 1840s the Hall and a demolished adjacent house became a girls' school run by Eleanor Blewart and her daughter Sarah Ann Mason. In the 1880s it was the residence of Dr Carden who cultivated 'oranges and other exotics' in the conservatory. For much of the twentieth century a Milnthorpe transport operator R. O. Hodgson lived here before it became the home of travel author Walt Unsworth and his wife Dorothy, founders of Cicerone Press.

Harmony Hill, Milnthorpe, United Kingdom where they built (1790)