Normandy Veterans Memorial Gardens
place and gardens
Commemorated on 1 plaque
The Normandy Veterans Memorial Gardens. This area known as "Sunken Gardens"is thought to be the most historic place in Grange-over-sands. Grange is thought to take its name from a French word "graunge" meaning "granary", an example of which was probably built here by black-robed Augustinian Canons of Cartmel Priory, a 12th century religious house endowed by William Marshall. Until the dissolution of England's monasteries in 1536, Priors of Cartmel imported supplies into the "graunge" through a harbour once sited close to the present Commodore Hotel. During "setting out" of these gardens in 1925, Mr Benson, a landscaper discovered foundations of a large barn.
Main Street, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom where it sited