John Cowane's Hospital

place and hospital

Aged unknown

Cowane's Hospital is a 17th-century almshouse in the Old Town of Stirling, Scotland. It was established in 1637 with a bequest of 40,000 merks from the estate of the merchant John Cowane (1570–1633). Subsequently converted for use as a Guildhall the building is considered by Historic Scotland to be "a rare survival of 17th century burgh architecture and one of the finest buildings of its kind in Scotland." It was listed at category A in 1965. The gardens are also seen as a "rare survival" of an institutional garden of the 17th century, and were included in the national Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in 2012. The hospital is located on St John Street, between the medieval Church of the Holy Rude and the 19th-century Old Town Jail.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

kim traynor on Geograph

This hospital was erected and largely provided by John Cowane Deane of Gild for the entertainment of decayed Gild breithr. [brethren] 1639

Back Walk, Stirling, United Kingdom where it sited