Commemorated on 1 plaque
The Pound House. An Act of 1563 was an early step towards national poor relief in England. A later Act in 1723 empowered churchwardens to provide poor houses or work houses. On this site in the 1700s stood a cottage called the Pound House, possibly named after the nearby Pound for straying animals. The churchwardens of Pagham leased it in 1747 as an additional poor house. The 1851 census records a Richard Williams and family a living here. The cottage was closed in 1913 as unfit for human habitation.
Barrack Lane, Bognor Regis, United Kingdom where they lived