Sir George Tapps 1st Baronet
1st Baronet Tapps of Hinton Admiral (from 1791)
Died aged c. 82
Sir George Ivison Tapps, 1st Baronet (5 January 1753 – 15 March 1835) was a British landowner and developer involved in the founding of Bournemouth. Tapps inherited some of the estates formerly belonging to Sir Peter Mews of Hinton Admiral from his cousin, Joseph Jarvis Clerke, when the latter died without issue in 1778. In so doing he became Lord of the Manors of Hinton Admiral, Christchurch and Westover. He was also appointed High Sheriff of Hampshire in 1793. Tapps was widely known as a "wilful and hard living confidant" of the Prince of Wales (later the Prince Regent), the future King George IV. In the wake of the Christchurch Inclosure Act 1802, Tapps purchased 205 acres (0.83 km2) in what is now the borough of Bournemouth for £1,050 (1,000 guineas). As lord of the manor he was also trustee for the areas set aside as common land, for cottage dwellers to dig for turf and suchlike. In 1809 he opened a public house called The Tapps Arms (later renamed The Tregonwell Arms). It stood where the current Post Office Road meets Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth. In 1810 Tapps sold 8.5 acres (34,000 m2) on the west bank of the Bourne Stream to Lewis Tregonwell for £179 11s. In 1834 Tapps obtained a loan of £40,000 from the Earl of Arran and John Augustus Fuller, into whose family his son had married, on the mortgage of the Tapps-Gervis estate at Hinton Admiral near Christchurch. With this money he intended to develop his estates on the east bank of the Bourne Stream. Building for this project finally began in 1837 under the direction of his son, as Tapps died in 1835.DbPedia
Commemorated on 1 plaque
Town Hall Buildings 1875 Sir George Tapps built the thatched "Ashley Cottages" here in 1812. In 1875 Bournemouth's first Town Hall was built on this site. The civic offices, which later became the Criterion Hotel, survive at the front, but with an 1898 facade. The hall was converted into an arcade in 1886 and refurbished in 1962 and 1991.
43 Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, United Kingdom where they built (1812)