Town Hall, Stratford-upon-Avon
place and town hall
Commemorated on 1 plaque
The building of a Market Hall on this site, now occupied by the Town Hall, was begun in 1634. On the 25th February 1643, the market hall was wrecked by an explosion of gunpowder during the temporary occupation of the town by Parliamentarian forces under the command of Lord Brooke. Although subsequently repaired, by 1767 the building was "in a dangerous and ruinous state" and was replaced by the present building. Presented by Col. George Monck's Regiment of Foote to commemorate the 350th anniversary of the English Civil War.
Town Hall - Chapel Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom where it sited (1767)