Open Plaques
Ireland

Limerick

See unphotographed plaques

6838038813 fd03d5688f s

Sylvester O'Halloran surgeon, Irish historian & antiquary. Died at his residence located near the plaque.

Merchants Quay, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
8240593007 082e4a6752 s

Gerald Griffin poet & novelist was born in the house that stood near here

St. Augustine Place, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
7875384246 6acc394058 s

The Bishops' Palace. Limerick Civic Trust dates the building to the 17th century and considers it to be the oldest standing domestic building in English Town. This was the official resisdence for the Church of Ireland Bishops until they moved to a new house in Henry Street in 1784.

Church Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

Villier's Alms House designed by James Pain in 1830 for poor protestant widows, through bequests provided by Mrs. Hannah Villier. Mrs. Hannah Villiers endowed the buildings on this site in her will in 1821. The construction took place in the Bishops Palace Garden in 1823. Of interest from a medieval perspective are the remains of the two towers, which today form part of the boundary fronting to the River Shannon.

Old Church Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

Dominican Priory. The remains of the Dominican Priory founded by Donough O' Brien

Bishop Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

Terence Albert O'Brien Bishop of Emly executed on 31 October 1651 by Cromwellian forces

Bishop Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
8430459842 b2d600f24a s

The Corporation Alms House known as the 40 shilling Almshouse. Built in the 1691, in the protective shadow of King John's Castle, 'The Widows Alms house', originally housed the families of deceased soldiers garrisoned at the castle. A local group restored them in 1970. They were then subsequently renovated by Limerick Corporation in 1993.

Nicholas Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
7875379852 60902e98f6 s

Hall's Alms House built in 1761 funded out of charitable trust established by Cllr Jeremy Hall

Nicholas Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
9592558408 793be02424 s

John Francis O'Donnell patriot poet and journalist born in this house 29 July 1837 [full inscription unknown]

20 Gerald Griffin Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

Richard Baptist O'Brien a priest who founded the Catholic Young Men's Society in 1849, lived in the house beside here

27 Mary Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
7058178101 e6dd49ffae s

The Tholsel. Site of the old town hall built in 1451 and demolished in 1750 when the new city prison was built here.

37 Mary Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
6912092874 cc7bc069e2 s

Fanning's Castle fortified medieval residence of Dominic Fanning a patriotic Mayor who was executed by Cromwellian forces in 1651

off Mary Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
6884288026 130256defd s

John Ferrar 1743 - 1804 historian, printer and bookseller. Founder of the Limerick Chronicle. Had a shop here.

Bridge Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

Mungretgate. This is a section of the Irishtown fortification which adjoined the Mungretgate. It was restored by Limerick Civic Trust in 1987.

Mungret Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

1916 Memorial erected by means of public subscriptions in memory of the Limerick men and their comrades who died for Ireland in 1916

Sarsfield Bridge, Newtown, Limerick, Ireland
6912087228 a43d60ef9a s

The Old City Courthouse. Built in 1764 as a courthouse. Subsequently used as a school. It is now a community hall.

Bridge Street, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

Andrew Cherry actor and songwriter best remembered as the author of 'The Dear Little Shamrock'

Bridge Street, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

The Colleen Bawn. The trial of the murderers of Ellen Hanley 'The Colleen Bawn' took place here.

Bridge Street, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

Monte de Piete. The site of a charitable pawn office founded by Sir Matthew Barrington in 1837

near Baal's Bridge, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland
Nophotosqr

The Granary erected in 1787 by Philip Eoche as a grain store. Restored in 1982.

Michael Street, Irishtown, Limerick, Ireland

Data about Limerick as JSON