Sir Walter Scott granted freedom of the burgh in 1799. Between 1797 and 1808, Scott was a regular visitor to the town while serving as Quartermaster for a volunteer regiment [full inscription unknown]

kim traynor on Geograph

Colour:

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
sleepymyf on Flickr
Cpelling on Wikimedia Commons
gnomonic on Flickr
Walter Baxter on Geograph
gnomonic on Flickr
gnomonic on Flickr
Jez Nicholson on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
gnomonic on Flickr
Stanley Howe on Geograph
Lisa Jarvis on Geograph
gnomonic on Flickr
gnomonic on Flickr