Rev Jesse Hord

Died aged c. 78

Commemorated on 4 plaques

Texas Historical Marker #01897

First United Methodist Church of Victoria. When Victoria was settled in 1824, Texas was part of Mexico and there were no Protestant churches. Itinerant Methodist ministers began to visit this area soon after Texas won independence in 1836. The Rev.Jesse Hord (1808-86), a missionary sent to this region by the Mississippi Conference of the Methodist Church, preached here in 1839. This congregation, formed in 1840 with the Rev. Joseph P. Sneed (1804-81) as pastor, was the first Protestant church in Victoria. Among its early pastors were the Rev. John Wesley DeVilbiss (1818-83), who helped conduct the first Protestant service in San Antonio in 1844, and the Rev. James E. Ferguson (1824-76), the father of Texas governor James E. Ferguson (1871-1944). Methodists worshipped first on South Street, then moved in 1852 to a small, frame building on Santa Rosa Street. In 1876 the steadily growing congregation occupied a frame structure on this site. Between 1896 and 1910, the church was known as Callender Chapel in memory of a prominent member, lawyer W.L. Callender. Damaged by a hurricane in 1886, the frame sanctuary was destroyed by a fire in 1910 and replaced by a masonry structure in 1911. The present facility was built in 1960. In the 1970s, the historic fellowship recorded a membership of over 1400. (1976) #1897

407 N. Bridge Street, Victoria, TX, United States where they preached

Texas Historical Marker #03253

Matagorda Methodist Church. One of the earliest Methodist churches in Texas. Founded January 6, 1839, by the Rev. Jesse Hord, a circuit rider who recorded that he came through "Black mud, a pouring down rain and a howling norther" to hold services in Matagorda. When he preached at "Early candle light" (dusk), four persons came forward to form the nucleus of the present church. The first church building was erected about 1851 but was destroyed by the great hurricane of 1854, which leveled almost every building in town. In 1869 worship was held in the county courthouse; in 1891 the present parsonage was built. In 1892 members decided they must have a proper church after being accidentally locked out of their meeting place -- the schoolhouse -- on a cold, rainy Thanksgiving Day. Long leaf yellow pine and cypress were brought in from Galveston and the present church was completed 1893. A Sunday school was soon founded by the Ladies' Aid Society. In 1927, Sunday School rooms, a kitchen, and study were built. In 1942, another hurricane and flood damaged, but did not destroy, the church. Today, though many improvements and new furnishings have been recently added, the original bible, bell, and hand-made cypress pews are still in service. (1968) #3253

?, Matagorda, TX, United States where they founded

Texas Historical Marker #08463

Martha's Chapel. Robinson's settlement became a stronghold for Methodist activity in Southeast Texas in the early 1830s. By 1839 a campground, church, and school were established here on land given by William and Elizabeth Robinson to The Rev. Littleton Fowler, Superintendent of Methodism in the Republic of Texas. Early clergy who visited and served here included Isaac Strickland, Jesse Hord, Joseph P. Sneed, and Bishop Thomas A. Morris. The Fourth Texas Methodist Conference met here in 1843, with Bishop James O. Andrew presiding. The church and the area became known as Martha's Chapel in 1854 after Martha Palmer, wife of a church trustee, died and was buried behind the church building. During the pastorate of The Rev. James G. Johnson (1812-1887), it was also referred to as Johnson's Chapel. At his death, Johnson bequeathed funds to complete the construction of the third and last place of worship at this site. It was dedicated on October 18, 1887, by Bishop W. W. Duncan. Although the congregation disbanded in the 1930s, ending a century of Methodism in this area, the Martha's Chapel Cemetery remains as a reminder of the area's pioneer heritage. #8463

?, Huntsville, TX, United States where they visited

Texas Historical Marker #09064

St. John's United Methodist Church. While Methodist missionaries had served the Richmond area as early as 1824, this congregation was organized January 22, 1839, by the Rev. Jesse Hord. Early members included some of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists. The congregation built this red brick sanctuary in 1922. Designed by C. N. Nelson of Houston, the Gothic revival building features white terra cotta trim and modified Tudor Gothic arches. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #9064

400 Jackson, Richmond, TX, United States where they founded