Documenting the historical links between people and places as recorded by commemorative plaques
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.
Place Of The Day
Norwich, United Kingdom
Norwich has a long history. It has been a city since 1094. From the Middle Ages until the Industrial Revolution, Norwich was the largest city in England after London and one of the most important. This is refelected in its plaques.
In the last 11 years, between 20 May 2009 to 6 Jan 2021, Open Plaques had 4,530,517 page views from 1,234,480 users. Some were triggered by internet memes such as Steve Ullathorne's 2012 image of a George Orwell plaque with a CCTV camera next to it. Others, such as those for Alan Turing, were probably triggered by an anniversary and campaign for recognition.
- George Orwell 1903-1950 novelist & political essayist lived here (19526 page views)
- Jacob von Hogflume 1864-1909 Inventor of time travel. lived here in 2189 (15077 page views)
- George Orwell 1903-1950 novelist and political essayist lived here (6390 page views)
- Jimi Hendrix 1942-1970 guitarist and songwriter lived here 1968-1969 (5714 page views)
- Alan Turing 1912-1954 founder of computer science and cryptographer, whose work was key to breaking the wartime Enigma codes, lived and died here. (4085 page views)
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930 creator of Sherlock Holmes lived here 1891-1894 (3846 page views)
- Alan Turing 1912-1954 code breaker lived here from 1945-1947 (3679 page views)
- This building housed the offices of Charles Dickens' magazine 'All The Year Round' and his private apartments 1859-1870 (3339 page views)
- Dame Agatha Christie 1890-1976 detective novelist and playwright lived here 1934-1941 (3027 page views)
- The Peterloo Massacre. On 16th August 1819, a peaceful rally of 60,000 pro-democracy reformers, men, women and children was attacked by armed cavalry resulting in 15 deaths and over 600 injuries. (3006 page views)
recently photographed plaques
This boundary cross was erected in the 15th century to mark the spot at which the King's Way crossed the Norwich city boundary.
Boundary Road, Norwich, United Kingdom
Texas Historical Marker #11209
Armisted Thompson Mason Monroe. (March 15, 1818 -- September, 1893) A grandnephew of U.S. president James Monroe, A.T.M. Monroe was born in Virginia and came to Texas in 1842. He married Rachel Albright (1828-1866) in 1846 and moved his family to Crockett in 1849. He operated a general store on the courthouse square with W.F. Wall and made annual trips to New York for merchandise. Also involved in real estate dealings, Monroe gave land for the Episcopal Church. #11209
East Pease Street, Crockett, TX, United States
Hier wohnte Rosa Abrahamson geb. Sichel Jg. 1861 deportiert ermordet in Auschwitz
English translation: Here lived Rosa Abrahamson née Sichel Jg. 1861 murdered in Auschwitz [AWS Translate]
Hildesheimer Straße 109, Hanover, Germany
Back in the "old days" when all contests were fought barefist and often in the open air. It was only the toughest who survived to take prizemoney. William Perry was such figher, born in Park Lane Tipton 1819 he began his career in about 1835. Some time later he defeated an opponent in nearby Clbury with such "Terrific hitting", that from then on he was known as "The Slasher". Many fights followed, some with as many as 100 rounds or more and with varying amounts of prizemoney "The Slasher" fought for the next 20 years or so and finally through the towel in, Christmas Eve 1880 aged 61
The Fountain Inn - Owen Street, Tipton, United Kingdom
C.J.C. Reuvens archeoloog 1793-1835 grondlegger van dit museum
Houtstraat, Leiden, Netherlands
Bishop Newton (Bristol) was born here. Born 1704 Died 1782 He was the brother of Andrew. The founder of Newton's College in the city. Educated at Lichfield Grammar School.
11 Bird Street, Lichfield, United Kingdom
The first Asian elected to the House of Commons was Dadabhai Naoroji He represented Central Finsbury for the Liberal Party from 1892-1895
Finsbury Town Hall, Roseberry Avenue, Islington, London, United Kingdom
Dans cet amphithéâtre, le 5 novembre 1906, Marie Curie première femme professeur à la Sorbonne, donna son premiers cours
English translation: In this amphitheatre, on 5 November 1906, Marie Curie, the first woman professor at the Sorbonne, gave her first lecture
47 Rue des Ecoles, Paris, France
Texas Historical Marker #04363
Round Top Community. Home of the Townsends, Hills and McH. Winburn, veterans of San Jacinto; Joel W. Robison, one of Santa Anna's captors; John Rice Jones, first postmaster general, Republic of Texas; and John C.C. Hill, boy captive of Mier Expedition and adopted by General Santa Anna. A center of German culture and crafts of 19th century. Examples: Nassau Plantation; Art of Mathias and Rudolph Melchior; Rev. Adam Neuthard's School; Stone Masonry of Carl S. Bauer; Lutheran Church with Wantke's handmade organ; and S. K. Lewis Stage Coach Inn. #4363
?, Round Top, TX, United States
Former Regal Cinema. The Regal Cinema seated 744 patrons and opened on 27th July 1936 with comedy film star Will Hay in attendance. This was the premier entertainment in the town and included a cafe. Between 1940 and 1946 Sunday evening concerts were staged. The cinema closed in 1976 and became a Bingo Hall.
Station Road, Biggleswade, United Kingdom