Trinity House

Aged unknown

The Corporation of Trinity House of Deptford Strond, also known as Trinity House (and formally as The Master, Wardens and Assistants of the Guild Fraternity or Brotherhood of the most glorious and undivided Trinity and of St Clement in the Parish of Deptford Strond in the County of Kent), is the official authority for lighthouses in England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar. Trinity House is also responsible for the provision and maintenance of other navigational aids, such as lightvessels, buoys, and maritime radio/satellite communication systems. It is also an official deep sea pilotage authority, providing expert navigators for ships trading in Northern European waters. Trinity House is also a maritime charity, disbursing funds for the welfare of retired seamen, the training of young cadets and the promotion of safety at sea; for the financial year ending in March 2013 it spent approximately £6.5 million in furtherance of its charitable objectives. Funding for the work of the lighthouse service comes from "light dues" levied on commercial vessels calling at ports in the British Isles, based on the net registered tonnage of the vessel. The rate is set by the Department for Transport, and annually reviewed. Funding for the maritime charity is generated separately. The corporation was founded in 1514. Its first master was Thomas Spert (later Sir), sailing master of Henry VIII's flagship Mary Rose and of Henry Grace à Dieu.

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

The Trinity House incorporated by Charter by Henry VIII in 1514 Trinity House is the general lighthouse authority for England, Wales and the Channel Islands A deep sea pilotage authority and also administers charitable funds mostly connected with seafarers The first Tinity House was at Deptford and then at Ratcliff and Stepney in the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1660 Trinity House moved to Water Lane, off Eastcheap, the building being destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and subsequently rebuilt. It was again destroyed by fire in 1715 and the Corporation then moved to the present site in 1795. Trinity House was partially destroyed by enemy action in 1940 and rebuilt in 1953

Trinity Square, London, United Kingdom where it was