John Henry Kirby


Died aged c. 80

John Henry Kirby (November 16, 1860 – November 9, 1940) was a businessman whose ventures made him the largest lumber manufacturer in Texas and the Southern United States. In addition to serving two terms in the Texas Legislature, he also established the Kirby Petroleum Company. With his successful reputation, he was known by his business peers as "The Prince of the Pines" and "The Father of Industrial Texas".Kirbyville, Texas in Jasper County is named after him, as is Kirby Drive and Upper Kirby in Houston.

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 4 plaques

Texas Historical Marker #07592

Old Brookeland Depot. Formerly on Great Northern Railway, organized 1898 by John Henry Kirby, a leading Texas lumberman. Named for the Brooke family, donors of depot site. In 1960, when Sam Rayburn Dam was built, G. N. Railway (part of Santa Fe system) was relocated. This 1914 depot-- once center of community life-- became surplus. Moved 40 miles, it has had unique features preserved in conversion to farm house by Mr. and Mrs. Ray H. Horton. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 #7592

?, San Augustine, TX, United States where they organised

Texas Historical Marker #10416

Moscow Masonic Male and Female Academy. Built 1853. Noted East Texas school. Taught later celebrities: W. P. Hobby, governor; Carr P. Collins, John Henry Kirby, business executives; L. B. Hightower, J. L. Manry, jurists. Unity Lodge 102, A.F. & A.M. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #10416

?, Moscow, TX, United States where they was a student

Texas Historical Marker #10446

Site of the First Kirbyville Church. This site became the center of spiritual and cultural activity in the Kirbyville area in 1898, when John Henry Kirby gave two town lots to the Baptist church for the erection of a sanctuary. the building was shared with the Methodist congregation until 1905, when the Methodists built their own structure. In 1916, the Baptist moved to other locations and a group of Free Methodists occupied the site. The property was sold in 1925 to private enterprise and used for secular purposes until 1962, when it was purchased by the Church of Christ. #10446

107 N. Elizabeth Ave., Kirbyville, TX, United States where they donated land

Texas Historical Marker #10456

Kirbyville, Town of, Site of Town Lot Auction. (May 1, 1895) Named for John Henry Kirby, attorney, railroad builder, and timber, lumber, and oil king. With R. P. Allen, Kirby founded the town when their railroad-- Gulf, Beaumont, & Kansas City-- reached this point. Since 1904 city has also been terminus of the Jasper & Eastern Railroad. A major business, Kirby Lumber Co. Sawmill (acquired in 1903), burned in 1917. City has been an area of timber conservation work since 1926; State Forest No. 1 is located 3 miles east. Today city is a trade center for Jasper and Newton counties and has electric power concerns. #10456

Main and Kay See St., Kirbyville, TX, United States where they is commemorated