Old Stone Prison, Decatur

place and prison

Aged unknown

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Texas Historical Marker #3821

Old Stone Prison. First stone house in Decatur. Erected by prison labor about 1859. Main house was residence of sheriff or deputy. Basement was used as jail. Meals were sent down a dumb-waiter located outside the east end of the house. County sold property in 1888 to A. H. Whitehead. Used as city water works until 1938. Kept as private residence until 1967 when purchased by Wise County Historical Society as museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968. #3821

201 E. Pecan, Decatur, TX, United States where it sited (1859-1888)