Elm Saloon
(1883-1902)

place and saloon

Closed aged c. 19

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Texas Historical Marker #1465

Site of Elm Saloon. The Elm Saloon opened about 1883 in a 2-story frame building at this site owned by T. O. Bower. According to an 1884 newspaper story gunfighter Frank James was arrested for his involvement in a fight in the Elm Saloon. By 1892 the saloon, named for a large elm tree near its entrance, was housed in a one-story stone structure. The saloon was located next to McKinney's only railroad passenger depot and by the early 1900s had become a local landmark known variously as the Elm Saloon, Rock Front Saloon, and Old Rock Saloon. The saloon was closed in 1902.** Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995*** #1465

346 E. Virginia St., McKinney, TX, United States where it sited