Sir Edwin Lutyens OM FRIBA KCIE RA
(1869-1944)

Died aged 74

Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens, OM KCIE RA FRIBA (/ˈlʌtjənz/; LUT-yənz; 29 March 1869 – 1 January 1944) was a British architect known for imaginatively adapting traditional architectural styles to the requirements of his era. He designed many English country houses, war memorials and public buildings. He has been referred to as "the greatest British architect of the twentieth (or of any other) century." Lutyens played an instrumental role in designing and building New Delhi, which would later on serve as the seat of the Government of India. In recognition of his contribution, New Delhi is also known as "Lutyens' Delhi". In collaboration with Sir Herbert Baker, he was also the main architect of several monuments in New Delhi such as the India Gate; he also designed Viceroy's House, which is now known as the Rashtrapati Bhavan.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia Find A Grave

Commemorated on 5 plaques

Nick Harrison on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
gnomonic on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
TonyMo22 on Flickr

Here lived and died John Loughborough Pearson 1817-1897 and later Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens 1869-1944 architects

13 Mansfield Street, Westminster, W1, London, United Kingdom where they lived and died (1944)

King George V Memorial. Designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, unveiled on 23rd April 1937 by King George VI

George V Memorial, Edward VII Avenue, Windsor, United Kingdom where they designed

The Drum Inn, Cockington Village (completed in 1936) designed by the architect Sir Edwin Lutyens RA OM KCIE born 29th March 1869 died 1st January 1944

Drum Inn, Cockington Village, Torquay, United Kingdom where they designed

Opened 1958 Metropolitan Cathedral Crypt Designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens O.M. 1869-1944 Foundation stone laid 1933

Metropolitan Cathedral Crypt, Brownlow Hill, Liverpool, United Kingdom where they designed

This building was specifically designed for the Liberal Club in 1894 by the Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens (1869-1944). It was his first complete Georgian building and was built with a mortgage provided by Arthur Chapman of Crooksbury, Chairman of the Farnham Liberals.

South Street, Farnham, United Kingdom where they designed (1894)