John Henniker

man

Aged unknown

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Nick Harrison on Flickr

York Gate About the time of Henry VIII a small wooden pier appears to have been built here. For the safety of the fishing craft, probably by the Coleman family, who fortified the gate or way leading down to the seashore by the arched portal. Defended by a portcullis and strong gates, to prevent the inhabitants from being plundered by the sudden incursions of privateers. These gates have for many years been gone, and as the stonework was fast decaying, it was repaired and beautified by Lord Henniker. When Sir John Henniker, above the arch is the following inscription. York Gate July 17 1811

Harbour Street, Broadstairs, United Kingdom where they was