Abernethy Round Tower
place and tower
The Abernethy Round Tower is a stone-built Irish-style round tower which stands at the edge of the cemetery in Abernethy, Perth and Kinross, Scotland. Dating from the 11th century, the tower is one of only two such towers surviving in Scotland—the other is at Brechin—and is protected as a scheduled monument. The roofless sandstone tower is 22.5m (74 ft) high and has a diameter of 4.57m (15 ft) at ground level, tapering upwards to 3.96m (13 ft). The walls are 1.07m (3.5 ft) thick. The 12 lower layers are of a different coloured stone to the rest of the building, leading to speculation that the base was built earlier than the rest. There are indications that the tower originally had six wooden floors, probably connected by ladders. Fixed to the outside base of the tower is a Pictish stone; the tower also has an iron joug or pillory attached. Various changes have been made to the tower over the years, including the installation of an iron spiral staircase when it became a lookout tower, windows and an outside clock. The current clock dates from 1868. Here Malcolm III of Scotland paid homage to William the Conqueror some six years after the Battle of Hastings.DbPedia
Commemorated on 1 plaque
Abernethy Round Tower. This tower and the similar tower at Brechin, in Angus are the only two round towers of the Irish Celtic type in Scotland. Here the Romanesque windows of the befry suggest that the tower was built in the later 11th Century. Long before this Abernethy was important as a principal seat of a Celtic Bishopric. Malcome Canmore and William the Conqueror met at Abernethy in 1072 possibly here.
, Abernethy, United Kingdom where it sited