thing and railway
Died aged c. 70
The Bishops Castle Railway was begun in 1861, planned as a line from Craven Arms to Montgomery, thus linking the Shrewsbury to Hereford line to the Oswestry to Newtown line (later called the Cambrian Line), linking Mid-Wales and Shrewsbury, with a branch line from Lydham to Bishop's Castle. From the start, the railway was hampered by shortage of capital. Many investors were already involved in more established lines and did not want competition and distractions to dilute their returns. Although the company continued to build, possibly hoping to dispel doubts and generate interest, the line ultimately only reached Bishop's Castle and was sold in 1867.DbPedia
Commemorated on 2 plaques
The Bishop's Castle Railway ran from near this place to Craven Arms from 1865 to 1935. This plaque was unveiled on October 24th 2015, the 150th anniversary of the Railway's opening.
Station Street, Bishop's Castle, United Kingdom where it sited (1865-1935)
The Bishop's Castle Railway ran from this station to Bishop's Castle from 1865 to 1935. This plaque was unveiled on October 24th 2015, the 150th anniversary of the Railway's opening.
Platform 2, Craven Arms Station, Craven Arms, United Kingdom where it sited (1865-1935)