Royal (Dick) Veterinary College
place and college
Commemorated on 1 plaque
On this site from 1823 to 1916 stood the Royal (Dick) Veterinary College. In 1823, with the support of the Highland Society of Scotland, William Dick, then living close by at 15 Clyde Street, established the first Veterinary School in Scotland. It flourished. In 1833 he constructed a purpose-designed building at 8 Clyde Street. This became known as the Edinburgh Veterinary College. It attracted students from throughout Britain and overseas. William Dick died in 1866 having bequeathed his Veterinary College to the City of Edinburgh. By 1916 the college had outgrown its premises here and moved to new buildings at Summerhall, east of the Meadows. It was renamed the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies in 1951 when it became part of the University of Edinburgh.
, Edinburgh, United Kingdom where it sited (1823-1916)