Aberdeen Steam Navigation Company
group and company
Commemorated on 2 plaques
The Aberdeen Steam Navigation Company Founded c. 1821 by a group of Aberdeen merchants, shipowners and shipbuilders the company was originally named the Aberdeen & London New Shipping Company and operated sailings between Aberdeen and London. The first steam packet ship operated by the company, called the 'Queen of Scotland' was built by John Duffus & Co. and launched on 12th April 1827. The first sailing from Aberdeen took place on 22nd December 1827 arriving at Galley Quay, London 3 days later. In 1835 the 5 sailing ships operated by the Aberdeen & London New Shipping Company were amalgamated with the 3 steamers operated by the Aberdeen & London Steam Navigation Company and the Aberdeen Steam Navigation Company was born.
81 Waterloo Quay, Aberdeen, United Kingdom where it sited
The Aberdeen Steam Navigation Company Based here between 1894 and 1962, no. 79-83 Waterloo Quay is a former 2 bay warehouse and store built for the Aberdeen Steam Navigation Company who had their main office at no. 87 Waterloo Quay. Company operations included running passenger and freight services, mainly between Aberdeen and London, initially by sail and then steam ship, continuing for well over a century. The company was sold in 1945 to the Tyne Tees Shipping Company, part of the Coast Lines Group. Trade ended when their vessel 'Hadrian Coast' docked at Waterloo Quay on 11th July 1962 for the last time.
83 Waterloo Quay, Aberdeen, United Kingdom where it sited