Commemorated on 1 plaque
This hotel, built in the reign of Charles II was once known as 'the Bishop's House'. It incorporates part of the Tudor house of Lady Mary West, built on land owned by Wherwell Priory. This was a secret centre for local Catholics in the 1580s. Following sale to the Catholic London District, it became a convent of refugee English Benedictine nuns in 1794. C. W. Benney converted the building into the Royal Hotel in 1858.
St Peter Street, Winchester, United Kingdom where it sited