The Ormond, Tetbury
place and inn
Commemorated on 1 plaque
THE ORMOND This building started life as an Elizabethan townhouse dating around 1540-1550. Named after James Duke of Ormond a prominent protestant supporter of James II and Charles II who was later involved in bringing William of Orange to the throne. An inn called The Lamb was first recorded in early 1660's and from 1748 it became known as The Ormonds Head. In 1891 the Elizabethan frontage was demolished and replaced by the present Victorian facade. In World War II the inn was used by the 654th American Engineer Battalion involved in constructing the model for the Omaha Beach invasion.
23 Long Street, Tetbury, United Kingdom where it sited