Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne

group and society

Aged 211

The Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne, the oldest provincial antiquarian society in England, was founded in 1813. It is a registered charity under English law. It has had a long-standing interest in the archaeology of the north-east of England, particularly of Hadrian's Wall, but also covering prehistoric and medieval periods, as well as industrial archaeology. It has also maintained an interest in the traditional music of the north-east of England, and particularly the Northumbrian smallpipes. The Society maintains several important collections. Its archaeological collection is held at the Great North Museum; its bagpipe collection, based on the collection assembled by William Cocks, is held in the Morpeth Chantry Bagpipe Museum; its collection of manuscripts is held at the Northumberland Record Office. Its journal is Archaeologia Aeliana, first published in 1822, and now published annually. The Great North Museum is also home to the Society's library, holding over 30,000 books, with a particular focus on local history and Roman Britain. Until 2013, the Society managed Newcastle Castle Keep and Black Gate, having leased the Keep in 1848 and the Gate in 1883 from the City, where they kept their library and, until 1960 when they were moved to the Museum of Antiquities, their collection of artefacts. Since 1886 the society, along with its sister society The Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, has organised the Hadrian's Wall Pilgrimage.

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

The Turk's Head Inn. Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne. Founded 1813. Close to this site stood the Turk's Head Inn where, on 23rd January 1813, seventeen Newcastle gentlemen met to form the Society

62 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom where it founded