Post Office Research Station


Aged unknown

The Post Office Research Station was first established as a separate section of the General Post Office in 1909. In 1921, the Research Station moved to Dollis Hill, north west London, initially in ex-army huts. The main permanent buildings at Dollis Hill were opened in 1933 by Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald. In 1968 it was announced that the station would be relocated to a new centre to be built at Martlesham Heath in Suffolk. This was formally opened on 21 November 1975 by Queen Elizabeth and is today known as Adastral Park. The old Dollis Hill site was released for housing, with the main building converted into a block of luxury flats and an access road named Flowers Close, in honour of Tommy Flowers. Much of the rest of the site contains affordable housing administered by Network Housing. Paddock, a World War II concrete two-level underground bunker, was built in secret in 1939 as an alternative Cabinet War Room underneath a corner of the Dollis Hill site. Its surface building was demolished after the war.

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 2 plaques

The former Post Office Research Station where Tommy Flowers (1905–1998) designed and built the pioneering Colossus computer

Chartwell Court, 151 Brook Road, Dollis Hill, London, United Kingdom where they was

'Building 1' This building was erected in 1933 as the headquarters of the Post Office Engineering Department Research Station During the period 1933 - 1975 many innovative advances including 'Colossus' the worlds first programmable computer, were made in telecommunications and postal engineering on this site.

Chartwell Court, 151 Brook Road, Dollis Hill, London, United Kingdom where they was