Died aged c. 71
Henry Langley (26 November 1836 – 1907) was a Canadian architect based in Toronto. He was active from 1854 to 1907. Among the first architects born and trained in Canada, he was a founding members of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts in 1880 and was instrumental in establishing the Ontario Association of Architects in 1889. A conservative in architectural design, he is primarily known for designing numerous churches in the Toronto area, although he designed many secular buildings as well including residential, commercial and public buildings. Langley designed 70 churches throughout Ontario. He was the first chair of the Department of Architecture at the University of Toronto, where he taught during the 1880s and 1890s.DbPedia
Commemorated on 2 plaques
The Bank of British North America On this site, in 1845, the Bank of British North America built its first branch in Toronto. The present building, designed by architect Henry Langley, replaced the original in 1875. The building later underwent several alterations, some under the direction of Burke, Horwood and White, Architects. In 1918 the Bank of British North America was incorporated into the Bank of Montreal, which retained a branch here until 1949 when the Imperial Bank purchased the building. After the Bank of Commerce and Imperial Bank merged in 1961, a branch of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce continued to operate here until 1978. Restoration and renovation work by Greymac Trust Company was completed in 1982.
49 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, Canada where they designed
DE LA SALLE INSTITUTE BUILDING 1871 Designed by Toronto architect Henry Langley, this building was constructed as a boys school operated by the Brothers of the Christian Schools, a Catholic teaching order. The Brothers had purchased the former Bank of Upper Canada, building to the immediate west in 1870. One year later this central building was completed to provide extra classroom, library and dormitory space. By 1876, the Institute's educational complex had expanded further to include the former Post Office to the immediate east. As the Institute's centre block, this building was originally set apart from its older adjoining neighbours by its Second Empire style, best defined by its mansard roof. Such roofs were later added to the other buildings. The entire complex served educational purposes until 1916. From 1925 to 1956, the United Farmers Cooperative Company used it for offices, cold storage, and a food processing plant. Later abandoned, the three buildings were saved from demolition and restored to use in the early 1980s.
252 Adelaide Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada where they was