Robert Boyle
(1627-1691)

Died aged c. 64

Robert Boyle FRS (/bɔɪl/; 25 January 1627 – 31 December 1691) was an Anglo-Irish natural philosopher, chemist, physicist, and inventor. Boyle is largely regarded today as the first modern chemist, and therefore one of the founders of modern chemistry, and one of the pioneers of modern experimental scientific method. He is best known for Boyle's law, which describes the inversely proportional relationship between the absolute pressure and volume of a gas, if the temperature is kept constant within a closed system. Among his works, The Sceptical Chymist is seen as a cornerstone book in the field of chemistry. He was a devout and pious Anglican and is noted for his writings in theology.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 6 plaques

In a house on this site between 1655 and 1668 lived Robert Boyle. Here he discovered Boyle's Law and made experiments with an air pump designed by his assistant Robert Hooke, inventor, scientist and architect who made a microscope and thereby first identified the living cell

High Street, Oxford, United Kingdom where they lived , discovered Boyle's Law , and made experiments with an air pump designed by his assistant Robert Hooke

Caisleán An Leasa Mhóir Lismore Castle áit bhreithe Onór Robert Boyle athair na ceimice nua-aoiseach 1627 - 1691 birthplace of Hon Robert Boyle father of modern chemistry

English translation:

Lismore Castle, Lismore, Ireland where they was born (1627)

Boyles School 1711-1945 Endowed by Robert Boyle F.R.S. 1627-1691 For 20 poor boys of Yetminster, Leigh and Chetnole

High Street, Yetminster, United Kingdom where they endowed

Natural Philosopher, Robert Boyle, 1627-1691, Born here, Father of Modern Chemistry

Lismore Heritage Centre, Lismore, Ireland where they was born (1627)

Hon Robert Boyle 1627-1691 Scientist

Lismore Castle, Lismore, Ireland where they was

The Tippling Philosopher. By 1630 The Tippler stood on this site. Robert Boyle, scientist and philosopher drank here, so it became known as The Tippling Philosopher. It was renamed as The King's Head in honour of George IV in 1820.

High Street, Milborne Port, United Kingdom where they drank