John Wallis

Died aged unknown

father also called John Wallis also publisher in London died 1818. "WALLIS, John, book, map and printseller, 16, Yorick's Head, Ludgate Hill 1775-1805H; 54, Yorick's Head, Cornhill 1775-1805; 13, Warwick Square 1805-11; 42, Skinner Street, Snow Hill 1812-47; High Street, Islington 1832-47. Trading: as Wallis and Stonehouse 1775-1777N; alone 1775-1818; as Edward Wallis 1819-47. D. 1818. Livery Sta. Co. by 1792. Partner with Stonehouse at 16, Ludgate Hill 1775-1777N. Publ. maps by John Cary. Juvenile publishers, co-operated with Newberys and various provincial retailers but rival of Darton and Harvey. Produced many jigsaw puzzles and games. Music imprints c1775-1803. Bankrupt Aug. 1778, cert. 2 Jan. 1778. Son Edward partner from 1813 and succ. father on death 1818, running firm to 1847 when his stock was acquired by John Passmore. Another son John ran his own business at 186, Strand from at least 1806, later moving to Sidmouth." also


John Wallis (/ˈwɒlɪs/; Latin: Wallisius; 3 December [O.S. 23 November] 1616 – 8 November [O.S. 28 October] 1703) was an English clergyman and mathematician who is given partial credit for the development of infinitesimal calculus. Between 1643 and 1689 he served as chief cryptographer for Parliament and, later, the royal court. He is credited with introducing the symbol ∞ to represent the concept of infinity. He similarly used 1/∞ for an infinitesimal. John Wallis was a contemporary of Newton and one of the greatest intellectuals of the early renaissance of mathematics.

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 3 plaques

Bedford Hotel Formerly the Royal Marine Library of John Wallis, Bookseller by Appointment to the Duke and Duchess of Kent. Established here c. 1813. Publisher, bookseller and business associate of R Ackerman of Strand, London. Much knowledge of early 19th C. Sidmouth comes from Wallis's publications and topographical prints. The Library was badly damaged in the great storm of 22nd Nov 1824, the Wallis family only just escaping

Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom where they established the Royal Marine Library

The Mocha 18th C. thatched "Shed" acquired by John Wallis and rebuilt as 2-storey brick building with a billiard room on 1st floor. On ground floor town's first Library opened 20th June. 1809 incorporating a new "Shed" with benches round walls and front open to sea. The Library was known for many years afterwards coloquially as the "Shed".

The Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom where they owned (1809)

Royal York Hotel. Sidmouth's first purpose built hotel opened 1810. In Oct. 1819 the Duke of Kent first visited Sidmouth. A copy of the famous Long Print of Sidmouth was presented to him at the hotel by John Wallis. The Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, stayed here with his tutor on 30th Sept. 1856, whilst on a private educational tour of South West.

The Esplanade, Sidmouth, United Kingdom where they was (1819)