Theatre Royal, Birmingham
(1774-1956)

place and theatre royal

Closed aged c. 182

The Theatre Royal, originally the New Theatre, was a 2000-seat theatre located on New Street in Birmingham, England. It was erected in 1774 and demolished in 1956. The theatre was damaged by fire in 1792 and again in 1820, after which it was rebuilt. In 1897, W. S. Gilbert's The Fortune Hunter premiered at the theatre. The theatre was rebuilt again in 1902, designed by Ernest Runtz, reopening in 1904 with 2200 seats. This building lasted until 1956 when it was closed and demolished. The Woolworth Building was then constructed on the site, seen today as the location of a branch of Boots and Bella Italia.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons

On this site stood the Theatre Royal 1774-1956

1st floor, The Charters Building, New Street, City Centre, Birmingham, United Kingdom where it sited