Closed aged c. 50
The Curtain Theatre was an Elizabethan playhouse located in Hewett Street, Shoreditch (part of the modern London Borough of Hackney), just outside the City of London. It opened in 1577, and continued staging plays until 1624. The Curtain was built some 200 yards south of London's first playhouse, The Theatre, which had opened a year before, in 1576. It was called the "Curtain" because it was located near a plot of land called Curtain Close, not because of the sort of front curtain associated with modern theatres, but of its proximity of the City walls, curtain or curtain wall referring to the part of city walls between two bastions.DbPedia
Commemorated on 1 plaque
Near this site stood The Curtain Theatre 1577-c.1627 Second English public playhouse Here William Shakespeare acted & plays by Shakespeare and Ben Jonson were performed.
18 Hewett Street, Hackney, London, United Kingdom where it stood near