General George Washington
Father of his country, United States Army Lieutenant General, military and political leader of the United States (1775-1799), Commander-in-chief of the Continental Army (1775-1783), and 1st President of the United States (1789-1797)
Died aged c. 67
George Washington (February 22, 1732 – December 14, 1799) was an American political leader, military general, statesman, and Founding Father of the United States, who served as the first president of the United States from 1789 to 1797. Washington led the Patriot forces to victory in the American Revolutionary War, and presided at the Constitutional Convention of 1787, which established the Constitution of the United States and a federal government for the United States. Washington has been called the "Father of the Nation" for his manifold leadership in the formative days of the country. Washington's first public office was serving as official Surveyor of Culpeper County, Virginia from 1749 to 1750. Subsequently, he received his initial military training (as well as a command with the Virginia Regiment) during the French and Indian War. He was later elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses and was named a delegate to the Continental Congress. Here he was appointed Commanding General of the Continental Army. With this title, he commanded American forces (allied with France) in the defeat and surrender of the British at the Siege of Yorktown during the American Revolutionary War. He resigned his commission after the Treaty of Paris was signed in 1783. Washington played an indispensable role in adopting and ratifying the Constitution of the United States. He was then twice elected president by the Electoral College. He implemented a strong, well-financed national government while remaining impartial in a fierce rivalry between cabinet members Thomas Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton. During the French Revolution, he proclaimed a policy of neutrality while sanctioning the Jay Treaty. He set enduring precedents for the office of president, including the title "Mr. President", and his Farewell Address is widely regarded as a pre-eminent statement on republicanism. Washington owned several hundred slaves, and he supported measures passed by Congress to protect slavery. Starting in 1778, he became troubled with the institution of slavery and freed William Lee, one of his slaves, in his will. He freed the other 123 slaves that he owned upon the death of his wife, Martha Washington. She decided to respect her husband's wishes and freed these slaves on January 1, 1801, before her death. He also freed in his will 33 more slaves that he acquired in a prior debt agreement with his brother-in-law Bartholomew Dandridge upon the death of Dandridge's widow. He endeavored to assimilate Native Americans into the Anglo-American culture but combated indigenous resistance during instances of violent conflict. He was a member of the Anglican Church and the Freemasons, and he urged broad religious freedom in his roles as general and president. Upon his death, he was eulogized as "first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen". He has been memorialized by monuments, a federal holiday, various media, geographical locations, including the national capital, the State of Washington, stamps, and currency, and many scholars and polls rank him among the greatest U.S. presidents. On March 13, 1978, Washington was militarily ranked General of the Armies, an honor that has only been awarded twice in the history of the United States.DbPedia
Commemorated on 21 plaques
Declaration Chamber Here the Continental Congress sat from the date it convened, May 10, 1775, until the close of the Revolution, except when in 1776-7 it sat in Baltimore, and in 1777-8 in Lancaster and York, due to temporary occupation of Philadelphia by the British Army. Here, on June 16, 1775, George Washington accepted his appointment by Congress as General of the Continental Army. Here, on July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was adopted, and on July 9, 1778, the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union Between the States were adopted and signed. Here, on November 3, 1781, twenty-four standards, taken at the surrender of Yorktown, were laid at the feet of Congress and His Excellency, the Ambassador of France. Here, on September 17, 1787, the Constitution of the United States of America was adopted and signed.
Independence Hall, Philadelphia, PA, United States where they was
In this building sat the first Senate and the first House of Representatives of the United States of America. Herein George Washington was inaugurated President March 4, 1793 and closed his official career when herein, also John Adams was inaugurated the second President of the United States March 4, 1797.
Congress Hall, Philadelphia, PA, United States where they was
Standing on this stone, on the balcony of Federal Hall April 3o. 1789 George Washington took the oath as the first President of the Unites States of America
Federal Hall National Memorial, 26 Wall Street, New York, NY, United States where they Standing on this stone, on the balcony of Federal Hall, took the oath as the first President of the United States of America (1789)
Harts Tavern President George Washington dined here April 22, 1790 on his tour of Long Island
Lakeview Cemetery, Patchogue, NY, United States where they dined (1790)
Texas Historical Marker #04612
Scottish Rite Cathedral. Scottish Rite Masonry in San Antonio dates to 1912, when a charter was granted by the Soverign Grand Inspector General of Texas. The orgnization grew slowly until World War I, when many soldiers stationed in San Antonio became members. This site was purchased in 1919,and plans were made to erect a new temple. Construction began in 1922 on this structure. Completed two years later at a cost of $1.5 million, the Cathedral was dedicated in June 1924. It soon became the center of Masonic activities for South Texas. Features of the five-and-one-half story clasical revival temple include an imposing gable front bay, eight Corinthian fluted columns a terra cotta frieze on the primary temple building, and stepped central mass. The elaboarately sculpted bronze front doors, executed over two-year period by noted artist Pompeo Coppini (1870-1957), feature figures of George Washington and Sam Houston, both members of the Masonic fraternity. The Scottish Rite Cathedral has been a San Antonio attraction since its construction. In recent years it has become a center for the performing arts and other cultural activties. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #4612
308 East Avenue E, San Antonio, TX, United States where they is commemorated
Queen Aliquippa. An influential leader of the Seneca Nation in this area and ally of the British during the time of the French & Indian War. Encamped near here when George Washington paid respects to her, 1753. Died, 1754; according to legend, buried nearby.
2928 Highland Ave., Highland Grove Park, near 2918 Bowman Ave., McKeesport, PA, United States where they was near
Espy House. Built about 1771. It was the headquarters of George Washington in October, 1794, when he came to Bedford to review troops assembled here to quell Whiskey Rebellion in western part of the State.
E. Pitt St. between Juliana & Richard Sts., Bedford, PA, United States where they stayed
Federal Inn. Site of Federal Inn, erected about 1754. George Washington, with military escort, was a guest here, October, 1794, when on his way to muster an armed force to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion.
445 Penn St., Penn Sq., Reading, PA, United States where they stayed (1794)
Butler County. Formed March 12, 1800, from Allegheny County. Named for Gen. Richard Butler, Revolutionary officer. A young George Washington had crossed this area, 1753. County seat was established at Butler in 1803, and the county was home of the Harmony Society, 1804-15.
County Courthouse, Main St. (Pa. 8), Butler, PA, United States where they was
Venango Path. A major Indian path between the Forks of the Ohio (now Pittsburgh) and the Seneca town of Venango (now Franklin) passed through here. On Dec. 27, 1753, George Washington came this way with frontier scout Christopher Gist as they returned from Fort LeBoeuf on a mission for Virginia''s Gov. Robert Dinwiddie. The Franklin Road, the first wagon road northward from Pittsburgh, was opened over this route in 1796.
Franklin Rd. at Mars Crider Rd. (Rt. 228), Cranberry Township, PA, United States where they was
Blaine House. Home of Gen. Ephraim Blaine, Commissary General of Revolutionary Army, stood on this site. George Washington was a guest here, Oct. 4-11, 1794, while mustering an armed force to quell Whiskey Rebellion in Western Pennsylvania.
S. Hanover St. between Pomfret & High Sts., Carlisle, PA, United States where they stayed
First Presbyterian Church. Oldest public building in Carlisle; erection begun, 1757. Here colonists met in 1774 to declare for independence, and George Washington worshipped, 1794. Congregation organized at Meeting House Springs in 1734.
NW corner, High & Hanover Sts., Carlisle, PA, United States where they worshipped
George Washington. Here George Washington reviewed militia from Pennsylvania and New Jersey, rendezvoused at Carlisle, October 1794, before marching to the Western part of State to quell the Whiskey Rebellion.
W High & West Sts., Carlisle, PA, United States where they was
Fort Le Boeuf - PLAQUE. This monument marks the site of Fort Le Boeuf. Erected by the French in 1752. George Washington as a Major representing the Governor of Virginia, came here in 1753, bearing a letter to the commander of the fort, warning the French to withdraw their forces...
US 19 opposite Fort Le Boeuf Museum, Waterford, PA, United States where they was
George Washington. In December, 1753, George Washington came here with notice from the Governor of Virginia to the French that they were trespassing on British soil. The statue shows Washington carrying out his first public mission.
US 19, at G.W. Memorial Park, Waterford, PA, United States where they was
Fort Necessity. Col. George Washington on June 29, 1754 began a fort here. July 4 he surrendered to a superior force of French. Fort Necessity Park includes the historic area and reconstructed fort.
US 40, Wharton Township, PA, United States where they was
Morrow Tavern. A two-story stone house occupied as a tavern by William Morrow stood on this site. George Washington, with staff, lodged here, Oct. 12, 1794, when traveling west to review troops assembled at Bedford to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion.
37 S. Main St., Chambersburg, PA, United States where they stayed
Rock Ford. Name of Colonial mansion of Edward Hand, Adjutant General of the Continental Army, and notable Lancaster physician. George Washington was entertained here in 1791. The old mansion is about half a mile to the southeast.
S. Duke St. ext. at Conestoga River, Lancaster, PA, United States where they was entertained
Venango Path. A major Indian path from the Forks of the Ohio (Pittsburgh) to Venango (Franklin) was located just west of here. George Washington used it in traveling north to Fort Le Boeuf in 1753. Capt. Jonathan Hart widened the path in 1787 on his way to build Fort Franklin. Here at Mayes Forks, the house on the NW corner was a major hotel--and a mail and stagecoach stop--during the early nineteenth century.
Old Rt. 8 (SR 3013) & Georgetown Rd. (SR 3003), Wesley, PA, United States where they was
George Washington. Near here at the David Reed home, Washington met Sept. 20, 1784, with 13 Covenanter squatters on his tract of 2613 acres. Failure to fix terms of purchase forced him to bring suit at Washington to eject the illegal tenants.
Southview Rd., N of PA 50, Venice, PA, United States where they was near
Forbes Road, 1758, Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne - Fort Ligonier (PLAQUE). Built by order of General Forbes. Was located 200 yards west of this marker. The road leads south-westward to 12 mile encampment. Eminent service was rendered here by Colonel Henry Bouquet and Colonel John Armstrong and in engagements with the French and Indians. Near this place Colonel George Washington, Colonel James Burd, and Lieutenant Colonel Hugh Mercer distinguished themselves, 50 miles from Fort Bedford.
301 E Main St., half block from public sq., Ligonier, PA, United States where they was near