National Provincial Bank
thing and bank
Died aged c. 137
Merged with the National Westminster Bank in 1970OpenPlaques
National Provincial Bank was a British retail bank which operated in England and Wales from 1833 until 1970 when it was merged into the National Westminster Bank. It continued to exist as a dormant non-trading company until 2016 when it was voluntarily struck off the register and dissolved. Considered one of the "Big Five," the National Provincial Bank expanded during the 19th and 20th centuries and took over a number of smaller banking companies. For most of its history it was based on Bishopsgate, at the thoroughfare's junction with Threadneedle Street, in London. It is possible to still see evidence of this bank at Waterloo Station in London, where the logo has been removed but the outline of the words remain.DbPedia
Commemorated on 2 plaques
Cleveland Club 1872 On this site stood the house of John Gilbert Holmes, one of the town's first shipbuilders. The present building was designed in the French Baroque style by John Gibson for the National and Provincial Bank. In 1948 the Cleveland Club began using the building as an informal meeting place for business people.
Queen's Square, Middlesbrough, United Kingdom where it was
Site of the Sherborne & Dorsetshire Bank circa 1750. Continued during the late 18th and early 19th centuries by Simon Pretor a grocer of this town. Amalgamated with the National Provincial Bank of England in 1843.
Pretors Office, Long Street, Sherborne, United Kingdom where it was (1843-1970)